Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 8

1.19.10
What does one do with oneself when one does not have class until 6:30pm and one is in Spain?

Go for a run, of course!

Leslie and I ran this morning in the beautiful Parque de Lorca (named after famous Spanish writer, which I learned in Literatura!). This park is about 5o yards from my apartment and is positively massive! I have never seen a park like this complete with intricate gardens, multiple children’s play areas, a café, a duck pond (the ducks have their own houses!) with a gazebo, bacci ball area, OUTDOOR GYM EQUIPMENT, and of course, multiple running paths!

'

 

 
I'm sorry I just couldn't help it!


I noticed more women running than men and more non-Spanish running than Spanish. Not including today I’ve seen 5 people total running in Granada. Narea says the Spanish don’t run, the Spanish watch people who run. This is true from what I saw today. They watch you as they smoke their 6th cigarette of the morning. But, I must given them SOME credit…at least they are going for a walk while smoking.

Yes, the Spanish interpretation of health is interesting…

Por ejemplo, their Food Pyramid…




The Spanish pick and choose which of the recommendations to adhere to…they are VERY good at sticking to Carbs…switch the chorizo with vegetables and aceite de oliva with legumes and I would say that is more accurate! Plus caffeine and cigarettes needs its own category…maybe it’s own separate pyramid!

With this type of diet, meal schedule, and little emphasis on exercise, it is a totally mystery to me how all of the espanolos aren’t gorditos!

But I shouldn't be one to talk...

Churros con chocolate

Fried sugar-coverd dough, liquid chocolate...


Pure, unadulterated passion...if I gain 50lbs by the end of this, it would be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment