Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 5

1.16.10

Senoras Familias y estudiantes oh my!
Packing and chatting and giggling and cracking up at 4am seemed like a good idea at the time (maybe not if you ask Mommy Kellyjandro aka Kelly)…but when the alarm went off at 9am the regret hit us hard. 

Kaye and I tried desperately to learn enough Spanish to communicate with our senoras before they arrived in the lobby of the hostal at 11.  Kelly on the other hand, sang along to Lady Gaga without a care in the world! We balance each other well!

Trying to take all of our stuff back downstairs proved to be just as difficult trying to get it upstairs…for Kelly especially! I wish I had a camera when we shoved Kelly, her two giant rolling suitcases, medium duffel, and jam-packed carry-on into the phone booth elevator. I ESPECIALLY wish I had a camera when we pressed the elevator button too early and Kelly came back up (after she had already been to every floor). HYSTERICAL.

Kaye, the only one of us nervous about being late, of course was the only one who’s senora was in the lobby.  Kelly and I were told our senoras were running late.  The whole process was very interesting as waves of students and families came to meet each other.  Violeta would read the student’s name and a family would come to claim them…it felt like a mix between a human auction and an awkward dating service. 

I knew I would like my senora when I came out of the bathroom (I had been waiting for 40 minutes and of course she came then!) after she had been waiting. I said I was sorry she had to wait and she responded (essentially)…No big deal, you gotta go you gotta go!

I wasn’t sure how long this friendliness would last though because she had yet to see my suitcase.  When she offered to help, I immediately said “Perdon, pero tengo MUCHO equipaje” and told her how heavy it was. She didn’t believe me until she lifted it herself. A prompt “OOMPH” followed.  Never again will I overpack!

I asked her if she had a car or taxi…oh no we were doing it European style…el autobus! I think the rule of thumb for packing should be if you cannot easily get your equipaje on a giant European bus…you need to pack less.  I complimented my senora on her strength. 


Senora lives on the 7th floor of a nice apartment complex.  We were both appreciated the fact that it had an elevator! 

Once inside, she gave me a tour of the apartment...Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sound so fun Mair!! I was super gracious to have an elevator in Paris as well, cuz I too am on the 7th floor!!

    Anyway, I hope you have having fun with your senora and your room looks like it is full of storage.

    Cant wait for you all to visit!

    ReplyDelete