Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 6

1.17.10

I ate a very quick breakfast of tostada with jam and café con leche. Josefina insisted I try it saying every student she has says they don’t like coffee until they have her café con leche. I must admit it was good even for a coffee hater. Am I growing up or what?!

Fully equipped with my 2 maps, phone, and GPS (Hey, navigating the labyrinth that is Granada is intimidating!) I set out solo to get to La Plaza de los Reyes Catolicos where we were meeting the group. Thank goodness I bumped into 2 students in my program!

La Alhambra is simply incredible. The history, the architecture, the artistry, and cultural aspects are fascinating.



The Alhambra is the best-preserved medieval Arabian palace in the world. It is the most popular monument in all of Granada, and I think, symbolizes the importance and prominence of Islamic culture here.

The Alhambra is built very strategically on top of very high hills. To the people of this area, it was like heaven with everything you needed within its walls. Past the muralles was a fully functioning city with military protection along the points of entry, artisans and workers towards the outside, and the royal families in the center. The palace was complete with advance technologies such as toilettes, a hygienic sewage system, indoor heated plumbing (for the bath houses), gardens for medicine and cooking, and more.

The Islamic people were an extremely advanced society and we have many influences from this culture that I have overlooked in the past. Words that start with “Al” are not Spanish, but Islamic such as “Alhambra” and “Allah.” So, many words we use today are clues to their Islamic origin like “Algebra.” So cool!

I saw some of the most amazing historic and scenic things on this trip, but unfortunately my camera died halfway through ☹

Here are some of my favorites (I wish I could capture how INCREDIBLE this really is!)!

Las ruinas de las casas artesanas- where the craftsmen, gardeners, workers lived towards the outside of the palace



Plaza de los Aljibes- The succedding kings (after Nasrid dynasty) added on parts of the Alhambra from 13-15th century, when Christians took over. This was built by the conquerors.




Palacio de Comares- main throne room of Sultan



Palacio de Comares (other side)- Illini amiga Michelle!




The INCREDIBLE inside- check out some of my favorite details, only imagine everything floor to ceiling in vibrant colors…amazing!


 (Ceilings: These are all perfectly measured so that they fit like puzzle pieces...crazy)

All the walls inscribed in Arabic "God is greater than all things"






Partal- This area leads to the summer palace and the extensive botanical gardens



Now you will have to check out Kaye’s blog most likely to see the cooler pictures…www.kkpasa.blogspot.com



1 comment:

  1. out of all of that i say... yea thats cool BUT

    you TOTES mastered the leather jacket... NICE WORK STACY AND CLINTON!!!!!!!!!!!!

    and you look so spanish. adios.

    ReplyDelete