Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 7

1.18.10

The first day of school has always been one of my favorites no matter what year, but in Spain…10 times more exciting!

Here is my whacky Spain Schedule (Horario):

Lunes:

9-10:30- Cultura de Espana con Yanira (“Yani”)
**This class is very interactive, part of our requirements is to volunteer every week somewhere in Granada. Yanira is also a sweetheart!

1-2:30- Literatura con Yanira
**Hooray for Spanish classics!

(There are never classes from 2:30-4:30 to allow PLENTY of time for Siesta ☺ School children also go home at 2, as well as any store that isn’t a restaurant (and even some of them close)!)

6:30-8- Cultura de Islam con Alecia
**Very excited to take this class! There is so much I overlook about Islam. We talked about the Islamic belief that everyone believes in the same One God but the differences in religion (Christianity, Judaism) is the paths taken to get there…that idea definitely resonates with me. I believe there is so much misinterpretation or misunderstanding (or no knowledge at all) about this religion within today’s political and cultural structure, but I think it possesses very beautiful ideals.

Martes:

(Your eyes do not deceive…I have one class, and it starts at night, crazy!)

6:30-8pm- La Historia del Arte con Monica
**What better way to study Spanish art than up-close, in-your-face, literally-right-in-front-of-me-at-a-Museum! Yay!

Miercoles:

Same as Monday with Cultura de Islam bumped up to 4:30-6.

Jueves:

Art History bumped up to 4:30-6…we go to a museum EVERY Thursday! YES!

Viernes:
MANDATORY TRAVELING…aka no one has class on Fridays

Tis the life…


General impression of school:
*The teachers are great and very easy to talk to, but are very serious and committed to their classes! And you are NEVER allowed to speak in English…yay!
*I am beyond excited to learn! Every subject is fascinating, plus the total submersion in Spanish is very beneficial.
* I will be working hard- We are evaluated on several items, but one of them is speaking/comprehension in Spanish, which means we are actually being dually graded for how well we can communicate during class. I am determined to master la lengua!
*CEGRI is like a hole in the wall of Granada- two levels, 3 main classrooms, all the same kids. Like highschool…of course, much cooler!
*FREE WIFI--- I will most likely be online before/after class, so check out my schedule and subtract by 7 to figure out when you can talk to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment